- box Betty Crocker™ SuperMoist™ white cake mix
- cup bottled strawberry margarita or daiquiri mix
- cup vegetable oil
- cup tequila
- egg whites or whole eggs
- cup shortening
- cup butter, softened
- box (1 lb) powdered sugar (4 cups)
- to 3 tablespoons bottled strawberry margarita or daiquiri mix
- 12 slices lime, each cut in half
- 1Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pans). Place foil or paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups.
- 2In large bowl, beat all cupcake ingredients with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Divide batter among muffin cups.
- 3Bake 18 to 23 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove cupcakes from pans to cooling racks. Cool completely.
- 4In large bowl, beat shortening and butter with electric mixer on low speed until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating until combined. Add 1 tablespoon of the margarita mix; beat until blended. Add enough of the remaining 1 to 2 tablespoons margarita mix, 1 teaspoon at a time, beating until frosting is light and fluffy.
- 5Spoon frosting into decorating bag fitted with #1M star tip; pipe frosting in circular pattern on tops of cupcakes. Garnish with lime slices.
To make virgin margarita cupcakes, replace the tequila with 1/4 cup more margarita mix, which is nonalcoholic. Some brands may be labeled daiquiri and margarita mix.
To make the frosting boozy, substitute 1 tablespoon tequila for 1 tablespoon of margarita mix.
If you don’t have a decorating bag and tip, spoon frosting into a large resealable food-storage plastic bag and cut off a corner of the bag to pipe frosting onto cupcakes.